Hmmm… comfort food!
Winter is a great season to throw a pot of meat and vegetables together and let the cooking process work its magic on releasing those wonderful flavours.
Whilst visiting a close friend recently, I was introduced to her slow cooker. I’d read so many recipes for them, and heard how fantastic they are, but never ventured far enough to go out and purchase my own.
So, when my friend asked whether I’d like to prepare a meal for us in her slow cooker, I didn’t hesitate. I was excited to give it a try. I was a little apprehensive about the fact that one could just load it up with raw food and it would cook it up without interference or much effort on my part.
This slow cooker recipe is so simple, and whilst you are busy studying;
doing housework; reading a good book or watching a good movie, you’ll be rewarded with the delicious aroma of your food cooking away without any intervention on your part.
Just place all the ingredients into the slow cooker, and forget about it ~ well, not really! You do still need to check on it occasionally, but mostly it just cooks away and produces delicious meals when you’re back from a long hard day of
shopping work, and you get to enjoy really tasty meals.
Gluten-free Slow Cooker Mutton Stew
Servings: 2 – 4
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 4-6 hours
- 2 – 4 mutton chops (500g)
- 1 punnet of button mushrooms, whole (250g)
- 1 large white onion, peeled, cut
- 1 punnet baby tomatoes, whole (200g)
- 1 floret of fresh broccoli, cut
- 2 medium sized carrots, sliced
- 1 cup of vegetable liquid stock
- Sea salt, ground black pepper for seasoning
- Pea shoots (30g), for garnishing
- Wash vegetables – cut onion into quarters; chop carrots and cut up broccoli
- Place the mutton chops into the slow cooker
- Place vegetables on top
- Season with salt and pepper
- Pour 1 cup of vegetable stock into the pot
- Turn on the slow cooker and let it do its thing
- Once the mutton stew is ready, remove the lid and add the pea shoots. Gently stir
- Serve with on a bed of rice, or with your favourite gluten-free bread
- Pour a glass of red wine and enjoy with friends!