I find with okra, that one either loves it or detests it – if that is possible for a vegetable! So how do you feel about okra? Do you have a favourite recipe?
This is my variation of deep-fried okra, which I’ve adapted to be a healthier, gluten-free version.
Gluten-free Fried Okra
(gluten-free, egg free, wheat free, sugar free, dairy free, soy free)
Prep time: 35 minutes
Cooking time: will vary
- 250g fresh okra
- 1 cup (250ml) of buttermilk or dairy substitute
- Mixed spice or chili spice
- Salt and pepper for seasoning
- ½ cup (125ml) of cornmeal
- ¼ cup of cooking oil for frying
For this dish, I used peanut oil (obviously not for those with nut allergies)
- Wash the okra and cut off the tips
- Place in a single layer into a deep dish
- Pour the buttermilk (or substitute) over and allow to soak for about 20 minutes
- Season the cornmeal with salt, pepper and your choice of spice. Place into a separate dish
- Heat oil in a frying pan
- Whilst the oil if heating, dip a few pieces of okra into the cornmeal and coat
- When the oil is shimmering (do not bring to a boil) gently place the okra into the pan and fry until tender and the coating is crispy (about 5-10 minutes)
- Carefully remove from the pan and drain on wax paper or kitchen towel
- Enjoy as a side dish or a snack on its own!