This week’s vegetable is Brinjal / eggplant / aubergine
Brinjals come in all shapes and sizes, and even different colours. I find that this vegetable is delicious when cooked alone, or added to soups, stews, curries and also fried.
I do enjoy cooking brinjal (eggplant/aubergine), as you will see if you look at the archives.
Brinjal, I find is very plain, on it’s own, with a very mild flavour, and so if you enjoy roasted vegetables, then try out this quick, easy and very tasty dish.
Brinjal is also lovely when grilled on an outdoor grid.
Oven Roasted Gluten-free Brinjal
(naturally gluten-free, egg free, sugar free, wheat free, nut free, soy free, dairy free)
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 15-25 minutes
- 3 – 6 Brinjals
- Olive oil
- Sea salt and black pepper for seasoning
- Mixed dried herbs / spice for added flavour
For this particular dish, I have used the thin, long light purple coloured brinjals.
- Preheat an oven to 200C
- Wash the brinjal (and cut off the stalks if you prefer)
- Slice lengthwise and place into a baking tray
- Cut shallow slits into the brinjal
- Season with sea salt and pepper, and your spice/herb of choice
- Lightly drizzle olive oil over and let stand for a few minutes
- Place uncovered into a preheated oven, on 200C and roast for about 15 – 20 minutes
Enjoy with a dipping sauce of gluten-free soy sauce, garlic and a little balsamic vinegar