Living in a different country, one is able to try out different vegetables, fruit, and other food products that are not usually available in one’s own country.
Celery. Yes, I’m sure that you have heard about this vegetable! You may eat it in salads, or for some, it is eaten as a ‘diet food’.
The celery that I’ve used in this recipe however, is not the typical ‘western’ celery that you would add to a salad. Chinese celery is far more flavourful, and adds a wonderful wild taste to your dish.
Give it a try if you haven’t eaten it yet, or known what to do with it.
Gluten-free Beef & Chinese Celery
(naturally gluten-free, egg free, sugar free, corn free, nut free, dairy free, oat free, soy free, wheat free, sesame free, shellfish free)
Servings: 2 – 4
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: roughly 20 minutes
- A bunch of Chinese celery
- Fresh garlic clove
- Fresh knob of ginger
- 250g of beef strips
- Salt and pepper
- Powdered stock (beef or vegetable)
- Oil, for frying
- Carefully and thoroughly wash the celery stalk and leaves
- Cut the top (leaves) off, but do not discard
- Chop up the stalks and place into a bowl
- Roughly chop up the leaves
- Finely chop the garlic and ginger
- Rinse the beef if necessary
- In a wok (or frying pan), place two tablespoons of cooking oil
- Heat until shimmering
- Place the garlic and ginger and stir
- Add the beef strips and fry until browned
- Place the celery stalks in first
- Stir and add the beef stock powder and a quarter cup of filtered water
- Continue to fry on medium heat
- After about 3-4 minutes, add the celery leaves
- Gently stir and turn off the heat
- Remove from the pan and serve immediately
- Enjoy with other side dishes and a bowl of rice!
No soy sauce or flavoured oils are added to this dish, so that the wonderful flavour of the celery can be enjoyed!