Who doesn’t love waffles. No, really. Who doesn’t? Since finding gluten-free waffles at restaurants in my area is impossible, I make them myself.
What better way to ensure freshness and quality of ingredients!
On Love & Lemons, which is not a gluten-free blog – but I love the creativity of the recipes, and the photography is just amazing! there is a recipe for waffles. Not just any waffles – carrot waffles!
Here is Jeanine’s recipe for Vegan Carrot Waffles
I just couldn’t resist converting her recipe into my own…
Gluten-free Carrot Waffles (inspired by Love & Lemons)
(gluten-free, egg free, dairy free, nut free, oat free, wheat free)
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: Will vary
- 224g of gluten-free Pancakes mix flour (contains xanthan gum)
- 2 Tablespoons of ground flax meal
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 110g of grated carrot
- 1 1/4 cups of non-dairy milk
- 1/4 cup of vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 2 Tablespoons of honey
- Preheat a waffle iron
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt, flax meal, ginger, and cinnamon
- In a separate bowl, combine the milk, oil, vanilla, and honey
- Add the milk mixture to the flour mixture and blend until combined
- Stir in the carrot
- Spray the waffle iron
- Scoop out the waffle mixture, and place onto the hot waffle iron
- Close the lid, and cook until done
- Repeat until all the batter is used up
- Serve immediately with cream cheese, or for totally dairy free – whipped coconut cream
These took longer to cook than regular gluten-free waffles I’ve tried before, and were very moist and spongy.