This is the second of the simple, quick and easy recipes for March. On busy days, when cooking time is limited, or you are just not in the mood to cook, rather than stopping to buy junk food on the way home – cook something simple, yet still satisfying and healthy.
Although this recipe is not cooked in five minutes, or less (as seems to be the latest trend) – it is healthy, tasty, nutritious, and of course, gluten-free!
Do you have any time saving tips for busy week cooking or meal preparation?
Leave a comment below…
The reason this recipe falls under ‘Quick & Easy’, is because once all the preparation is done, it is in fact easy to prepare meals like this, on a busy week night. For the beef, I buy it in bulk, cut up into strips, or chunks, or steaks, and then freeze in individual bags until I need them. This saves a lot of time! If you ave fortunate enough to live near a supermarket that sells the ready cut fresh meat packs, then use those. I cook the quinoa whilst I’m preparing the other ingredients, which is also time efficient. That just leaves chopping of vegetables, and the actual cooking.
Quinoa & Beef
(Free of : gluten, egg, free, nuts, oats, soy, dairy, sesame, shellfish)
Servings: 2 – 4
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 20-25 minutes
- Quinoa (already cooked)
- 250g beef, cut into strips
- 1 large carrot
- Fresh garlic and ginger
- Sea salt for seasoning
- 1 teaspoon of spices of your choice (I used a gluten-free meat seasoning)
- 2 Tablespoons of olive oil, for frying
- 1 teaspoon of beef stock powder
Note: I used carrots, since they are bright, as well as healthy, and I like them paired with beef. You could replace with any of your favourite vegetables!
- Place the quinoa into a pot, and cook whilst preparing the beef dish
- Rinse the beef under running water.
- Peel and chop up the carrot, into strips or as you prefer
- Chop up the fresh ginger and garlic
- Pour 2 tablespoons of olive oil into a pan or wok
- Heat on medium-high heat
- Carefully place the beef into the pan and start to fry
- Add the ginger and garlic
- Add sea salt and spices
- Fry the beef until it is browned (about 5 – 8 minutes)
- Next add the carrots and stir
- Add the beef stock powder and about a half a cup of water (not too much, but also not too little)
- Place the lid on the pan and turn down the heat
- Simmer for about 5 minutes, until the carrots are tender. If you prefer mushy carrots, cook for longer
- Spoon the cooked quinoa onto a serving plate
- Turn off the heat, and serve the beef directly onto the bed of quinoa
- Eat and enjoy!