Yes, I do realise that it is the beginning of a new year. I also realise that many people are on the latest diet, or doing a cleanse, or trying to lose weight. So … when you see ‘lamb’ is the main ingredient of my newest recipe, you’re probably thinking ‘What?!? Lamb? Fried? Doesn’t she know that I over indulged over the festive season, and my New Year’s resolution is to lose weight?!?’
For some of you, that may be true. Perhaps you are on a diet, or have given up eating cookies, meat, big meals and those Christmassy treats that were so tempting. However, eating lamb in the cold winter months, is also good for you.
Lamb is of course high in animal protein; contains iron and other B vitamins that are good for a healthy body. Gobbling up an entire leg of lamb on your own, however, may not prove to be that healthy!
Whether you like lamb or not, this fried rice recipe is relatively quick and easy, and most importantly – delicious!
Gluten-free Roast Lamb Fried Rice
(gluten-free, wheat free, oat free, nut free, egg free, soy free, corn free, allergy friendly)
Servings: 2 – 4
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
NOTE: This recipe is made using leftovers. The rice was cooked the previous day, as was the roast lamb. I seasoned the meat with salt and herbs before roasting it, and so I didn’t add additional flavours to the fried rice. If you like to add sauces or other herbs and spices, then go ahead.
- Leftover roast lamb (as much or as little as you like)
- Leftover cooked white rice (2-3 cups)
- A bunch of green leafy vegetable (spinach, or your favourite)
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 1/2 a red onion, chopped
- Salt and pepper for seasoning
- Wash the vegetables, peel the carrot and onion, and chop them up into bite sized pieces
- Cut the lamb into small pieces or strips
- On medium to low heat, fry the lamb, and add the onion
- Next add the carrots and half a cup of water
- Bring to boil
- Cover and simmer until the carrots are tender (about 3 minutes)
- Remove the lid, turn up the heat and add the rice and seasoning
- Stir vigorously, until well combined
- Next, add the green leafy vegetable, and continue to fry, until cooked through
- Remove from heat and serve immediately