This is a quick & easy, 1-wok-meal. As you will see from my recipes, I do eat a lot of mushrooms! They are nutritious, and usually very quick and easy to prepare. They go well on pizza, with pasta, in soups and stews, and even on their own.
I have paired button mushrooms with a vegetable that is not new to me, but one that I usually cook alone. Ever heard of ‘celtuce’? No, no, not lettuce:
Celtuce is a very nutritious and healthy vegetable. It contains amongst others, potassium, calcium, iron and magnesium. Some say that it tastes like asparagus, whilst others claim that it is a cross between celery and lettuce, hence its name.
Try it for yourself, and let me know what you think.
Celtuce & Mushrooms Asian style
(gluten-free, egg free, soy free, corn free, sugar free, nut free, oat free, dairy free, sesame free)
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 12 – 15 minutes
- 1 whole fresh garlic clove
- 2 stalks of celtuce, peeled and cut (do not throw away the leaves)
- 200g button mushrooms, washed and sliced
- Salt to taste
- 2 teaspoons of mushroom powder or vegetable stock powder
- 1 Tablespoon of Sunflower oil, for frying
- 1 teaspoon of Sesame oil or Prickly Ash oil
- Peel and chop one whole clove of garlic
- Peel, wash and slice the celtuce (no need to cut up the leaves, unless you prefer to)
- Wash, drain and slice the button mushrooms
- In a wok (or frying pan), heat 1 tablespoon of sunflower oil
- Add the garlic and fry for about 30 seconds
- Add the button mushrooms and continue to fry, for about 3 minutes, on high heat
- Add the sliced celtuce
- Add salt (about a teaspoon, but to your preference), the powdered stock and about a quarter cup of water to dissolve it
- Cover the wok or pan, and allow to simmer for about 5-8 minutes, until the celtuce is tender (but not overcooked)
- Next, once the vegetables are tender, add the leaves and stir in
- Turn off, and add the Prickly Ash or Sesame oil
- Gently stir
- Remove from the heat and place into a serving dish
- Pick up your chopstix, and enjoy with rice and other dishes!