My new breakfast recipe for this Monday morning, is a light, yet healthy, and very tasty porridge. Quinoa is known as a super food, and is naturally gluten-free!
Aside from being good for one’s overall health, quinoa contains nutrients such as phosphorus, manganese, folate and zinc.
It is easy to prepare, and can be added to many dishes, or eaten as a main dish.
Today, I decided to once again prepare a sweet quinoa breakfast dish. I had previously made an apple porridge, (which you can find here ) which was good, but I still
wasn’t am not convinced that I like quinoa as a sweet dish. I love it as a savory – served with vegetables, and even added to soups.
After making this porridge, I’m still not sure that I like quinoa as a sweet dish. How do you feel about it?
How do you prefer to eat quinoa? Leave a comment below:
I decided that since Rooibos is my favourite tea (in case you hadn’t guessed that by the many Rooibos recipes on my blog), I would pair it with quinoa.
If you do not like Rooibos – surely not? Who doesn’t like Rooibos????! Should you really prefer other tea, then substitute with that, or just use plain water.
Quinoa Rooibos Berry Porridge
(naturally gluten-free, egg free, sugar free, nut free, dairy free, corn free, soy free, oat free)
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 15-18 minutes
- 1/2 cup of quinoa
- 1 cup of Rooibos tea
- a pinch of sea salt
- 2 Tablespoons of coconut flesh, or shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup of apple juice
- a small piece of vanilla pod, or essence
- 1 – 2 Tablespoons of honey for sweetness (add according to your preference)
- a few blueberries
- Rinse the quinoa under running water
- Place into a saucepan
- Add the cup of Rooibos tea (or water), a pinch of sea salt, and the vanilla pod
- Bring to a boil
- Simmer, with the lid on, for 12 minutes
- Remove the lid and pour in the apple juice
- Simmer for a further 5 minutes, until the liquid has been absorbed
- Whilst the quinoa is cooking, grate the coconut (or use pre-shredded coconut)
- When the quinoa is cooked, remove the vanilla pod, and then spoon the quinoa into two serving bowls
- Top with the shredded coconut and berries
- Add other fruit and honey if desired
- Grab spoons and tuck in. Enjoy!