As most of you, who have experience with gluten-free baking know, xanthan gum (or guar gum) are necessary ingredients for a non-crumbly, manageable dough or batter. After many, many (I gave up counting!) attempts at trying to bake without the ‘glue’, I almost gave up! I do still use xanthan gum in many of my recipes, but I would prefer not to. Today, I found an alternative, for these lekker pancakes (flapjacks).
I’m not very artistic (quite a challenge for a foodie blogger, I tell you!), but if I could do this, then children also can (with adult supervision, of course)!
(gluten-free, egg free, corn free, nut free, dairy free, no xanthan gum)
Prep time: 30 – 40 minutes
Cooking time: will vary
- 1 3/4 cup All purpose gluten-free flour
- 1/4 cup of cassava flour
- 1 cup of non-dairy milk
- 2 Tablespoons of white granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1 Tablespoon of sunflower oil
Click on each image below to enlarge:
- Measure out the gluten free flours in a jug
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, place the flours, salt, and sugar
- Add the oil
- Gradually add the milk, whilst whisking or stirring with a spoon
- In a pan (I used a non-stick, so very little oil needed), place a small amount of oil and heat
- Use a spoon to scoop out the amount of batter you want, and spread into the pan
- Fry on a low-medium heat, until cooked on both sides
- Now the fun part – decorate ANY WAY you like!