This month sees the celebration of Lunar New Year, (Chinese New Year, or Spring Festival). I will be sharing gluten-free, egg-free recipes that are either Chinese or Asian-inspired. I hope that you will enjoy them!
The first recipe I’m sharing is a vegetable dish. Yay! for the vegetarians! Actually, most of the dishes I’ll be sharing will be vegetarian, or have a vegetarian option.
In Chinese cuisine, in particular, not all vegetable dishes are necessarily vegetarian. A lot of pork is used as the main protein ingredient.
None of my recipes contain pork.
Today’s recipe is one a friend shared with me, and I tried to replicate it – haha! Let’s just say that mine is a rehashed version! 😛
Okra with Sesame Sauce (gluten free, egg free, dairy free, corn free, oat free, nut free)
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 5-8 minutes
- 250g of okra
- Salt, for rolling (see instructions below)
- A pot of filtered water
- 2 Tablespoons of white roasted sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon of dark brown sugar
- 2 Tablespoons of Rice wine
- 2 Tablespoons of gluten-free Soy sauce (or Tamari)
- 1 teaspoon of Sesame oil
Click on the images below to open them to view the full picture and captions:
- Wash the okra
- Roll the okra in salt, on a cutting board *
- Bring a medium sized pot of water to boil
- Place the okra into the pot
- Boil for 5-8 minutes (until tender, not mushy)
- Remove from the pot and leave to drain, thoroughly
- Once cooled, top and tail the okra
- Cut into even sized pieces
- Place into a dish
* the salt will get rid of the ‘hair’ on the okra
Making the Sesame Sauce:
- Place 2 Tablespoons of roasted white sesame into a mortar and pestle and grind
- In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar, soy sauce, Rice wine, sesame oil and sesame seeds
- Stir well
- Pour over the okra
Note: I did not grind the sesame seeds, and so the sauce is not very pretty looking.