Merrriam-Webster Dictionary definition:
: a thin, flat, round cake that is made by cooking batter on both sides in a frying pan or on a hot surface (called a griddle)
Whatever you like to call them, everybody (surely, it must be?!) looooves pancakes!
The lovely, young Meghan, at ‘NaturallyMeghan’, recently posted a recipe for buckwheat pancakes.
I love the nuttiness of buckwheat, and her recipe sounded simple, was easy to follow, and her photo was just amazing, that I had to give these a try! I’m so glad that I did. I
gobbled them up ate them, and wanted more!
Buckwheat Pancakes (gluten free, egg free, dairy free, soy free, sugar free, nut free)
Servings: roughly 6 pancakes
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: will vary
- 1 small, ripe banana
- 2 flax eggs (2 Tablespoons of flax meal and 6 Tablespoons of water)
- A pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1/2 cup of buckwheat flour
- 1/2 cup of non dairy milk
- Cooking oil, for frying
- Make the flax egg and set aside
- In a medium sized bowl, mash the banana
- Add the buckwheat flour, salt and baking powder
- Mix together
- Next add the milk and stir
- Finally, add the flax egg and fold in
- Heat a pan (I used a non-stick frying pan) and a little cooking oil
- Drop spoonfuls of the batter into the pan and cook on medium-low heat for about 2-4 minutes on each side
- Serve with your favourite toppings
Two different fillings and toppings (click on photos to enlarge):
Optional: Add cinnamon or other spices to the mixture before or after cooking.