Yes, it is day 10 of the countdown to Christmas. Are you getting all excited yet? Too busy shopping away? Remember to read all labels VERY carefully before you buy a product from the supermarket! Ingredients can change overnight, so rather be safe than sorry. On my previous post, I listed items to be on the look out for.
Today’s recipe is a meaty dish. Vegetarians, there are other recipes for you, so I’m sure that you won’t mind me posting something for the meat eaters out there.
BBB&P – rather cryptic, isn’t it? Want to know more? Look below…
Note: This recipe is a one pot meal. That is, if you happen to have a pot that can be used on top of a stove, and then placed into the oven, like mine. If not, then you will need to cook it on the stovetop first, then scoop into an ovenproof dish and continue to bake.
BBB&P, or rather – baked beans, beef and potatoes! If you only ever eat baked beans on toast, or as a salad, then you need to try this recipe. It is really good!
BBB&P – (gluten free, egg free, dairy free, nut free, soy free, oat free)
- 2 large potatoes (500g)
- 1 can of baked beans (weights vary) – remember to ensure that you buy gluten free!
- 500g of lean minced beef
- 1 yellow onion (200g), peeled and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- 2 large tomatoes (400g each), skinned and diced
- 1/2 teaspoon of cornstarch (can also use potato starch)
- 1 Tablespoon of olive oil, for frying
- Salt and pepper for seasoning
- 1/2 Tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce (or omit)
Oven temperature: 190C/ 375F
Total cooking time: 40-50 minutes
- Peel potatoes, slice into rounds, then leave in water until needed
- Place the two tomatoes into a large bowl
- Pour boiling water over and leave to stand for about 5-10 minutes, until the skin starts to peel
- Peel onion and garlic and chop into fine pieces
- Carefully drain the tomatoes, peel skin off and chop into small pieces
- In a large pot, place one tablespoon of olive oil and heat
- Gently fry the onion and garlic until tender
- Add the beef mince and continue to fry, on a higher heat, until the beef is browned
- Add the chopped tomatoes to the beef, and stir in the cornstarch and seasoning
- Next, add the baked beans and stir well
- Remove from heat
- If you need to use an ovenproof dish, transfer the mixture now
- Layer the top with the potato slices
- Lightly drizzle with olive oil
- Place into a preheated oven, and bake at 190C/375F, for about 35 minutes, until the potatoes are nicely browned
- Remove from oven and serve