Even though the heat of summer is but a vivid memory, I still crave a glass of fruity goodness in the mornings. It may not be an icy and refreshing beverage, now that the colder weather has arrived – but rather a warm or hot drink, which still contains healthy goodness to get me out of bed in the morning.
For this smoothie, you don’t even need any fresh fruit. Well, you could add some if you feel the need. Gou Qi, or wolfberries, are considered a superfood. They are new to the western diet, but have been consumed in Asia for over a thousand years.
Go Ji (Gou Qi) Berries, health benefits:
- High in antioxidants
- Improves eyesight
- Improves mental alertness
- Improves sleep
- Enhances energy levels
- Assist in blood sugar levels
- They contain amino acids, trace minerals, vitamins B, C and E, carotene (also found in carrots), amongst other nutrients.
Also, you don’t need a large amount of these little red berries to gain the benefits. Even a sprinkling will yield great nutritional benefits. You can snack on them dry, or add them to other dishes.
Gou Qi Goodness in a Glass (packed with healthy ingredients)
- 1/2 cup of milk (or non dairy alternative)
- 1 Tablespoon of cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla essence
- 1/2 cup of gou qi berries (soaked in boiled water)
- 1 teaspoon of honey
- Dessicated coconut and chopped nuts for topping (optional)
- Place the gou qi berries into a small bowl, and cover with boiled water for 5-10 minutes to soften them
- Do not discard the water
- Place berries and water, milk, vanilla essence, honey and cocoa into a blender
- Blend on med-high for 30 seconds
- Pour into a 200ml glass
- Top with coconut and nuts, leave plain, or add your own favourite topping
- Stick in a straw, slurp and enjoy!
Note: Although gou qi (go ji) berries have many health benefits, they are considered medicinal. Consult your health practitioner if you are unsure as to whether or not you are able to consume them.