What happened to Quinoa?
Last year, quinoa was all the rage. Everywhere you looked, there was a quinoa recipe, and everyone was talking about this healthy seed. It seems that quinoa’s popularity was short lived, and now there are other superfoods making the headlines, such as chia seeds, kale and psyllium husks.
Since it’s autumn, and there are many different varieties of apples around, I thought that I’d try an apple crisp with a difference.
I usually make a crumble (or crisp) with different kinds of flours. Today I decided to use boiled quinoa instead.
I do enjoy a warm or cold quinoa salad – different seasonal vegetables thrown into the pot of cooked quinoa, tossed around and then served with olive oil and lemon. Very healthy, quick and easy, with simple ingredients.
Today however, I used quinoa in a sweet dish, for the first time. I think that it really came out well, but I’m not so sure that I like quinoa in a sweet dish. I’ll have to give it another chance before I decide that savoury suits quinoa best.
What do you think? Have you used quinoa in a sweet dish before? Did you like it?
Quinoa Apple Crisp (Gluten free, Egg free, Oats free)
- Cooked quinoa (makes about one cup)
- Chunky apple sauce (or cooked apples)
- 1 heaped teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1/3 cup of yoghurt (of choice)
- 1 Tablespoon of S-A-F (or nuts)
- 2 Tablespoons of honey (any kind)
- 1/2 cup of quinoa (rinse well)
- 1/2 cup of filtered water
- 1/2 cup of apple juice
- Simmer the quinoa and cup of liquid in a pot for 15 minutes
- Whilst the quinoa is cooking, prepare the other ingredients
- Preheat and oven to 180C/355F
- In an ovenproof bowl or dish, place the apples at the bottom of the dish
- Sprinkle with half the cinnamon and S-A-F
- Drizzle honey over the apples
- Place the cooked quinoa over the apples and flatten
- Sprinkle the remaining cinnamon, S-A-F over and place into a preheated oven
- Bake for about 10-15 minutes, on 180C/355F, until the top browns slightly
- Remove from oven, and drizzle the remaining honey over
- Decorate with fresh apple slices and yoghurt
Take a spoon and dig in. You may want to share this with someone as a snack, but for breakfast, I’d say that it’s a one-person serving.